Date: Jan 08 2022
Time: 1:00 PM (No Walk-ins / Register or Call ahead)
Contact: Ron Harden
Location: Abilene Public Library Mall of Abilene
4310 Buffalo Gap Rd
Abilene TX 79606
1. MANDATORY BEFORE THE EXAM
FCC Registration Number (FRN): Examinees are required by
the FCC to submit your FRN with your license application form.
New license applicants must create an FCC user account and
register their Social Security Number (SSN) in the FCC Commission
Registration System (CORES) before attending exam sessions.
Registrants will be assigned an FRN which will be used in all license
transactions with the FCC. For instructions on how to register your
SSN and receive an FRN from the FCC, visit the CORES Registration
page and the FCC’s Registration instructions page.
Per FCC rules, a valid email address is also mandatory on the
application form to recieve FCC correspondence, including the official
copy of your Amateur Radio license.
2. One legal photo ID (identification):
a. State Driver’s License
b. Government issued Passport
c. Military or Law Enforcement Officer Photo ID card
d. Student School Photo ID card
e. State Photo ID card
3. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
a. Non-photo State ID card (some states still have them)
b. Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
c. Social security card
d. Employer’s wage statement or Minor’s work permit
e. School ID card
f. School or Public Library card
g. Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed
to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on
the Form 605.
4. Students/minors without a photo ID need to bring only one of the
above items if a legal guardian presents their photo ID; otherwise
two non-photo IDs are required.
Minor children (under the age of 18) may be accompanied in the
room by an adult during the test.
5. If applicable, bring a printed copy of your Amateur Radio license
or be able to show proof of the license in the official FCC database.
Acceptable copies or printouts of licenses are available from the
following sources: the official license or reference license printed
from the FCC website or license data printed from the ARRL website
or QRZ website. The original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates
of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from
previous exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by
the FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The
candidate is require to show proof of the current license to the team
but the team is no longer required to submit the proof to the VEC.
Expired license proof must be submitted to the team and to the
VEC for processing to FCC. These photocopies will not be returned.
Instructions on how to obtain an official FCC license copy are on
our Obtain License Copy web page.
6. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen for in-person sessions.
7. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones’ calculator function may not be used.
In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
8. Bring a check, a money order or cash to cover the exam session fee(s).
Check the ARRL VEC’s current exam fees.
9. Be aware that some information about you will be made publicly available on the FCC’s website (FCC Licensee Privacy) including a felony conviction status. All applicants must answer the Basic Qualification Question (felony conviction status question) on the 605 Form at the exam session. Applicants that answer “YES” for the question must follow these FCC procedures:
FCC qualification question instructions